Michele’s Chocolate Christmas Cake For Seniors
Written by: Michele Bayno BSW, BA
Are you looking for a simple, Christmas cake to serve this holiday season? This cake will not disappoint you or your guests.
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) golden butter cake mix. Duncan Hines is a excellent choice for this recipe.
- 1 cup of chocolate-hazlenut spread. Nutella is a good choice. Adjust this portion of Nutella as desired.
- 1 tsp. of finely chopped fresh rosemary.
- 2 cups finely chopped hazelnuts, divided.
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 4 bars (4 oz. each) of semisweet chocolate, chopped.
1. Heat your oven to 350 F.
2. Grease two 9″ round cake pans.
3. Prepare the cake mix package. Add hazelnut spread, rosemary and 1/2 cup of hazelnuts.
4. Divide the batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake for thirty minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
5. Allow 10 minutes for cakes to cool in pans.
6. Invert cakes onto wire cooling racks. Allow to cool off completely.
7. To make chocolate ganache: In saucepot over medium heat, bring heavy cream just to a boil. Remove from heat. Add semisweet chocolate. Let sit for two minutes.
8. Let sit for two hours or until spreadable consistency.
9. Place one cake on serving platter. Spread top with 1 1/4 cup of ganche. Top with second cake layer.
10. Frost cake with remaining ganache.
11. Decorate cake as desired with plastic flowers, raspberries, or fruits of your choice.
Prep time: 20 minutes.
Total time: 50 minutes, plus sitting and cooling time
Nutritional Value per serving:
Total fat: 36g